History of the Department
LIFE IS GOOD FOR ONLY TWO THINGS, DISCOVERING MATHEMATICS AND TEACHING MATHEMATICS - SIMEON POISSON.
Taking into account the increasing demand for a degree in mathematics, the Women’s Christian College established The Department of Mathematics (SF) in the year 2003. The Department offers both undergraduate and post graduate programs. With a strength of 8 faculty members, the Department is well equipped to integrate both research and hands-on-work into all programs. The faculty members possess expertise across areas of both pure and applied mathematics such as Algebra, Analysis, Complex Analysis, Topology, Operation Research, Differential Equation, Graph Theory, Functional Analysis and Discrete Mathematics. Their research has been published in journals of high international repute.
To serve as a center of advanced learning and research in various areas of mathematics, thus contributing to the development of the nation and to the advancement of humanity.
To equip our students with the conceptual understanding, computational skills, and persistent disposition required to use quantitative reasoning and analysis effectively in their personal and professional lives. We aspire to provide stimulating mathematical experiences that will strengthen their future careers, whether that be the application of mathematics in practical contexts or contributions to the mathematical profession through teaching, productive scholarship and active participation in professional organizations.
PURE MATHEMATICANS JUST LOVE TO TRY UNSOLVED PROBLEMS- THEY LOVE A CHALLENGE - ANDREW WILES
- To provide a solid base for careers in both academics and research.
- To enhance mathematical skills and facilitate the understanding of the fundamental concepts of pure and applied mathematics.
- To develop arithmetic problem solving skills.
- To promote independent thinking and critical ability in aspects of mathematics and in related fields.
- To facilitate application of mathematical concepts in challenging areas of pure applied mathematics.
- To enhance individuals’ ability through logical reasoning, and emphasize skills related to the nature and types of proof, abstraction, and presentation.
- Places high priority on student learning in a personal environment
- Encourages students to engage in the learning experience through interaction in the classroom, participation in student oriented seminars and other related activities.
- Motivates both students and staff members of the department to undertake professional development ventures that make educational excellence possible.
- Values the contributions of the faculty to their discipline through publications, presentations and other means of intellectual dissemination and strongly encourages their continued efforts in these endeavors.
PO1. Develops abstract mathematical thinking from the particular to general.
PO2. Acquires background knowledge in research.
PO3. Specialization in a particulararea of mathematicsand preparednessfor either research or a job.
PO4. Qualification in competitive exams such as, SET,NET etc.
Programme Specific Outcomes
PSO1. Apply the knowledge of mathematical concepts in interdisciplinary fields.
PSO2. Understand the nature of abstract mathematics and explore the concepts in detail.
PSO3. Pursue research in challenging areas of pure and applied mathematics.
PSO4. Employ the mathematical skills requisite to identify and solve challenging problems.
PSO5. Expand the learners’ horizon of knowledge and explore the applications of pure mathematics.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2020-2021
- The Mathematics Association was inaugurated on 19.03.2021 by Dr. D. Wiselet, Former Head of the Department of Mathematics, Women’s Christian College, Nagercoil.
- The department organized a Virtual Alumni meet on 29.03.2021 where memories were shared and acquaintances were renewed.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2016-2017
- The first year students were welcomed into our department by our senior students on 06.07.2016.
- Mathematical competitions on the topic “Mathematics anywhere everywhere” were organized on 09.09.2016. Students participated in paper presentation, poster making, rangoli etc.
- On 03.09.2016 we had an alumni meeting, where the out-going students shared memorable experiences that occurred during their course of study.
- A counseling programme was organized for the out-going students on 20.04.2017. Dr.J.Beula, Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Women’s Christian College served as the Resource Person.
- A farewell event for the out-going students was organized on 22.04.2017.
- M. Jothi, I B.Sc won the first prize and cash award of Rs. 5000/-in Hand Writing competition conducted by M.S University.
- R.AnuPriya, I B.Sc won the second prize and a cash award of RS.5000/- in Elocution Competition conducted by DVD School, Nagercoil.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2017-2018
- An orientation programme for the first year undergraduate students was conducted by the department on 04.07.2017.
- A programme was conducted to welcome first year students of both undergraduate and postgraduate courses on 29.07.2017.
- The ‘Joy of Giving Week’ was observed during the first week of October 2017. A surprise gift from the department was given to 20 deserving students of Scott Christian School, Nagercoil
- A student-excursion covering Mysore, Bangalore and Coorg was organized from 28.03.2018 to 01.02.2018.
- S. Princiya, II B. Sc won the first prize in Poetry Writing Competitionduring the National Voters Day -2017 by the KanyaKumari District Election Commission.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
- A three day orientation programme was conducted for the first year UG students.
- The Mathematics Association was inaugurated on 14.09.2018. Dr. V.Vilfred, Head of the Department of Mathematics, Central University of Kerala was the chief guest.
- The outgoing students of the Department had lunch with the students of Bethel Ashram – ShenbaharamanPuthoor and later visited Kalikesam on 30.03.2019.
- The Department organized a student-tour to Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad at the end of the odd semester.
- S. Antro Jencya,I B.Sc got first prize in the Drawing Competition conducted by the Tamilnadu Kalai Elakkiya kazhaham.
- S. Princiya,I M. Sc got second prize in the Poetry Competition conducted on the Voters day 2019.
- J. Thanga Asha and M. Jenisha of III B.Sc got third prize in the Drawing Competition conducted by the Tamilnadu Kalai Elakkiya Kazhaham.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
- The Department organized a programme to welcome the first year under graduate students and held an orientation programme for the newcomers.
- A counseling programme was organized by the department on 24.10 .2019. Bro. Manasseh ably guided the students.
- The Department organized a student-tour to Goa and Mumbai from 01-10-2019 to 07-10-2019
- The final year UG and PG students visited Bethel Ashram at Shenbaharaman Puthoor and Eco Park, Kanyakumari on 21.02.2020.
- Ms. R.S. Nisha and Ms. R.P.Dhivi of I B.Sc secured II and III prize in Drawing Competition conducted during the 10-th National Voters Day -2020 by the KanyaKumari District Election Commission.
- Ms. S. Princiya II M.Sc secured I prize in Poetry Competition during the 10-th National Voters Day -2020 by the KanyaKumari District Election Commission.
- Ms. T.T. Thanu Dharshani I B.Sc secured III prize in Tamil Elocution Competition conducted by Kumarai Kalai Kazhagam on 25.07.2019.
- Ms. T. Sathurthiya II B.Sc secured III prize and Ms. M.S. Sneka I B.Sc secured V prize in Drawing Competition conducted by Kaviyarasar Kalai Tamil Sangam on 15.08.2019.
- Ms. N. Mercy Bai, I B.Sc secured V prize in Tamil Essay Writing Competition conducted by Kaviyarasar Kalai Tamil Sangam on 15.08.2019.
The Alumni Association of the Mathematics Department was setup with an aspiration to maintain a continuous bondwith the alumni and the department. The association enrolls members and organizes periodical meetings.