History of the Department
The P.G. department of Physics was established way back in August 1990. The department is directed towards the achievement of excellence.
The department is offering quality education in a good way to make students employable. The department was upgraded with M.Phil. Course, during the academic year 2008-2009.
There are six teaching staff and one non teaching staff. Five faculty members have acquired their doctorate degrees and one staff is pursuing research.
The department has one approved research guide under M.S. University. Our department has a well equipped laboratory, a separate library with a good collection of books in diverse branches of physics, and a computer laboratory with internet facility.
To provide challenging and motivating scientific literacy that instils a lifelong interest in physics.
To develop skilled professionals by providing excellent post graduate, pre-doctoral education to meet the cut throat competition in securing employment.
- Impart knowledge in physics to the students who come from sub urban and rural areas.
- Enhance the educational quality of students in a diverse learning environment.
- Develop individual research capacity and critical thinking ability of the students.
- The department has been imparting knowledge through quality education.
- Seminars and workshops in physics are organized regularly inviting eminent personalities in physics as resource persons.
- Every year the department creates an opportunity for the students to attend the prestigious summer training programs STPIP organized by Department of Nuclear Physics, University of Madras and STIPAC by IGCAR, Kalpakkam.
- Our students are encouraged and trained to attend various seminars and conferences and also for presenting papers.
- Paper reading sessions for the students are arranged periodically.
- Our department has a very good academic record with University ranks.
- A personality development class for our P.G. students has been arranged with the help of Vantage Institute.
- Every year, the students go on industrial visit to places like ISRO Mahendragiri, Nuclear Power Plant, Kudankulam etc.
- As a mode of relaxation and refreshment to our students, excursions are arranged every year to places of scenic beauty and historical importance.
PO1. Developing strong student competencies in Physics and its applications.
PO2. Imparting student skills in research, analysis and interpretation of scientific information.
PO3. Preparing the students to successfully compete for employment in various domains of the society.
Programme Specific Outcomes
PSO1. Excel in the core concept of physics subjects and research related subjects.
PSO2. Apply knowledge with skills and become professionally trained in the fields of non-linear dynamics, material science and spectroscopy.
PSO3. Confident to take up competitive exams and trained to make students employable.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2020-2021
- A National Webinar on “Applications of Vibrational Spectroscopy” in association with Indian Spectroscopy Society was conducted on 28-07-2020. Dr. K. R. Aranganayagam, Dept. of Chemistry, Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore and Dr. I. Hubert Joe, Dept. of Physics, University of Kerala were the resource persons.
- On 04-08-2020, an International Webinar on “Physico-chemists Care for Your Health” with Prof. Dr. Sylvia Turrell, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1 – France was organized via. Zoom platform that attracted the attention of enthusiastic participants from the student fraternity and teaching community all across the globe.
- The Physics Association was inaugurated by Er. Rose Cyril Xavier, Assistant G. M., BSNL, Nagercoil on 19-10-2020.
- Throughout the pandemic period, the research guides of our Department have been in regular contact with their Ph.D. wards via. video conferencing. The lock down situation did not deter three research scholars of our department completing their Ph.D Viva Voce.
- Two of our faculty members G. Addaline Stally and D. Jayareshmi obtained their doctorate degrees.
- A Special Online Lecture on ‘Introduction to Ensembles’ by Prof. Senthilvelan, Head, Dept. of Nonlinear Dynamics, Bharathidasan University, Trichy was held on 25-08-2020.
- A National Level E- Quiz competition in Physics attracted a huge response from the students. The toppers were selected and awarded with cash prizes.
- Regular Counselling Programmes were offered to the students to motivate and inspire them during the period of isolation in their homes.
- Highly beneficial online workshop series for the P.G. students are regularly conducted every Saturday by Dr. S. V. M. Satyanarayana, Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, Pondicherry University.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2016-2017
- The inaugural function of P.G. Physics Association witnessed an enriching key note address on the topic “Crystallography and Hydrogen Bonding” by Dr.S. Athimoolam, Head, Department of Physics, University College of Engineering, Konam.
- The M.Sc. students and M.Phil. scholars were taken on an Industrial visit to ISRO, Mahendragiri on 02-09-2016. The testing of the liquid engines which was conducted there was explained by visuals and models. The visit was an eye-opener for understanding the advancements of India in Space Physics.
- A group of five II M.Sc. students namely, K.S.Bhavani Shamee Ram, J.Jeni Pushpa, S.J.Rashmi, R.Renju and A.R.Saranya participated and won the second prize in the Flower Rangoli competition conducted on 10-09-2016 by Horticulture and Plantation Crops Department, Kanyakumari District during Flower, Vegetables – Seminar & Exhibition 2016.
- Mrs. J. Sharmila Justus, Assistant Professor received ‘Dayawati Rastogi Award’ for best oral presentation in the National Conference on Technologically Advanced Materials (NCTAM-2016) organized by Department of Physics, Muslim Arts College, Thiruvithamcode on 06-09-2016, in association with Indian Spectroscopy Society, Ghaziabad, India.
- Mrs. S. Grace Victoria, Assistant Professor won the best paper presenter award in Physics in the Ninth All India Conference of Scott Research Forum (SRF) held on 10th February 2017.
- Physica Fest- 2017 was held on 11/02/2017 in which Dr. Monickam Mahendran, Associate Professor, Thiyagaraja College, Madurai delivered an interesting and entertaining talk on Kitchen Science.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2017-2018
- The annual activites kickstarted with the inauguration of Physics Association on 09-08-2017 by Mr. P. Pandaram, Scientific Officer, Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
- Periodic meetings were held with eminent experts in science. Mr. Allwin Jose, Section Head, Vikram Sarabai Space Centre-Trivandrum, Dr. Kalainathan, Director, VIT and Dr. Anoop, Scientist from IGCAR were some of the notable chief guests.
- The P.G. students on 14th March, 2018 had the privilege of visiting Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant. In addition, the students took part in programs at BSNL, Nagercoil and All India Radio, Konam.
- Effective counseling to the students was provided with immense help of Dr. J. Beula, Retired Prof., in Physics and Former Coordinator of Counselling cell of our College.
- The counseling skills of Prof. Vijayakanta Robin, Former HoD of Botany was also made use of in the counseling programs.
- The Department celebrated the Joy of giving (2nd -8th October 2017)
- Mrs. Addaline Stally and Mrs. Jaya Reshmi served as the Judges for the Science Exhibition held at CSI Home Church School, Nagercoil.
- The students were taken to exotic places in Munnar and treated to fun filled games at Wonderla, Cochin as part of a three day tour that served to collect memorable moments.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
- The Inauguration of the Physics Association on 25-07-2018 marked the beginning of a series of vibrant activities.
- Physica Fest that serves as a perfect platform for paper presentations by students was successfully conducted on 23-2-2019.
- WIPCO, the annual intercollegiate competitions held on 7-3-2019 attracted many participants from the length and breadth of the district.
- The Department Seminar NSP’19 was held on 13-3-2019 that included a paper presentation session. The proceedings were published in a book with ISBN number.
- The students visited scientifically acclaimed places like Jawaharlal Nehru Planetorium and Visveswaraya Technological Museum at Bangalore, Dalmia wind farm, Aralvaimozhi, Priyadharshini Planetorium, Thiruvananthapuram and ISRO, Mahendragiri.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
- The Inauguration of the Physics Association on 13th August marked the first of the many department activities for the academic year 2019-’20. Dr.S. Dawn Dharma Roy, Former Principal of N.M.C.C., Martandam was the chief guest.The Inauguration of the Physics Association on 13th August marked the first of the many department activities for the academic year 2019-’20. Dr.S. Dawn Dharma Roy, Former Principal of N.M.C.C., Martandam was the chief guest.
- The M.Sc. and M.Phil. students visited EGRL and Science Centre, Tirunelveli as part of field work.
- A highly useful workshop on Visualisation of Vector calculus was organised for the P.G. students and Staff with Dr. Senthilvelan, Prof. and Head, Dept. of Nonlinear Dynamics, BARD, Trichy as resource person. Paper presentation competition ‘Physica Fest’ was held on 24-1-2020.
- The Intercollegiate competitions WIPCO-2020 held on 28-02-2020 to celebrate National Science Day saw an overwhelming response of more than 100 participants from various colleges.
- The yearly seminar series NSP – 20 was organised with resource persons from IGCAR, Kalpakkam. The papers presented in the Seminar were published in an UGC Care Journal with ISSN number.
- Two of our faculty members J. Sharmila Justus and C. R. Shyniya obtained their Doctorate degrees.
The Physics Department maintains good ties with the alumni of our department by organizing Annual Alumnae Meetings to celebrate and cherish old relationships and to form new ones. The alumnae used to assemble together with great enthusiasm and joy and are delighted to be back in the alma mater. The office bearers of the Alumnae Associationare Dr. Goma, Assistant Professor of Physics, Lekshmipuram College, Dr. Radhiha, Assistant Professor of Physics, Pioneer Kumaraswamy College and Dr. Jenitta, Assistant Professor of Physics, Mano Constituent College. The Alumnae are accorded a warm welcome and are updated with the developments in the Department. Playful games and puzzles are given to add an air of happy homecoming.The alumnae recall their fond memories in the campus and extend their full cooperation to the development of the Department. The alumnae meetings serve as a perfect platform to rewind their memories and to revive the ties.