History of the Department
The Department of Costume Design & Fashion was started in 2006 to develop managerial talents & designing talents in the field of fashion designing, fashion marketing, merchandising and retailing best suited to the requirements of the garment export and fashion retail sectors. They are exposed to creative designing & computerized designing, merchandising/marketing, innovative fashion management practices, direction of fashion trends and business practices through field visits and industry internships. They have the right blend of hard and soft skills and possess the right attitude to enter the middle management & textile designing of any growing organization.
The Vision of our department is to develop fashion, business & entrepreneurial skills through these innovative and socially committed young women who would meet the needs of the Fashion World.
The mission of our department is to provide value based teaching and good career opportunities that are enhanced with community development and service to the industry which is growing at a rapid pace in India.
- To assist students to develop their individual illustrative skills in the field of fashion
- To introduce all aspects of professional fashion design in order to enter the world of work.
- To provide qualitative & fruitful education to the students by offering modernized teachings and training by undertaking valuable programs.
- To exchange consultancy activities with outstanding organization.
- To create develop sustainable business models for fashion design and manufacturing industry.
- To address the changing needs of the fashion industry as and when they arise.
- To promote education and research in respect of fashion, design and craft.
- Facilitating and collaboration between the fashion industry and industrial and export concerns.
- Conducting Workshop like Fabric Painting, Portfolio Presentation, Embroidery.
- Conducting State Level Seminars
- Established Dyeing, Testing, Computer, Printing & Construction lab.
- Conducting interdepartmental competitions.
- Individual assignments & its periodical evaluations.
- Conducting fashion & textile related quiz competitions.
- Organized CAD training programs.
- Conducting certificate courses- Fashion Illustrator, Coral Draw, Orbit O and Adobe Photoshop.
- The department library meets the specific needs of the students more than 200 books are available.
- Final year students do a project in groups guided by the teaching faculties in various technical, processing and designing topics.
PO1. Create a strong portfolio; share their knowledge in garment design, to be a spanking organizer in organization.
PO2. Felicitously professional in textile and garment industries and have job responsibility entrusted on her.
PO3. Originate young entrepreneurs or designers with their own creativity.
Programme Specific Outcomes
PSO1. The costume design & fashion students will have strong foundation in Fashion Designing, Illustration, Fashion Merchandising, Visual Merchandising, Art Portfolio and CAD.
PSO2. The students will be able to construct garments for spectacle, Excellent Quality Inspector and Perfect Fiber Analyzer.
PSO3. Our students will have more ability in export activities, Innovative entrepreneurs.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2020-2021
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized an online workshop held on 27th July 2020 by resource person G.VASUMATHI, Asst. Professor, NIFT TEA College of knitwear fashion, Tirupur on “FABRIC ENHANCEMENT”.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2016-2017
- The department of costume Design and Fashion organized an workshop on flower making on 13 July 2016, conducted by Dream Zone.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2017-2018
- The Association inauguration of the department of Costume Design and Fashion was held on 07 September 2017. The Chief Guest was Mr. S. Sathiya Raj, HR, TUKA CAD Centre, Erode.
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized an Orientation programme in Computer Aided Designing & Marker planning held on 07 September 2017. The Resource person was Mr. S. Sathiya Raj, HR, TUKA CAD Centre, Erode.
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized a departmental competition on 11th September 2017. The competitions were Fashion Illustration, Fabric Painting, Flower Making, Embroidery, Art from Waste. Around 70 students participated in these competitions.
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized an Inter-departmental competition on 12th September 2017. The competitions were Poster Making, Clay Modeling, Collage, Pot Painting, and Pencil Drawing. Around 65 students participated in these competitions.
- The department of Costume Design & Fashion celebrated the "Joy of Giving Week" along with the children’s in Christ Harvest Mission , Paaraikankaal on 08th October 2017.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized an Orientation programme in Computer Aided Designing (CAD) held on 17 December 2018, Chief Guest: Mr. Thiyagarajan, ESSD info tech corporation, Erode.
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion organized a workshop in Aari work, held on 01 February 2019, conducted by Premier fashions, Coimbatore.
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion conducted the 10th Alumnae Meet on 16 February 2019
- The department of Costume Design and Fashion had an independent placement facilitating campus recruitment for 3rd years on 22 April 2019, the recruiters from S P Apparels LTD, Tirupur, selected 12 students to their company.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
- Two days workshop was organized on Fabric Painting and pastel painting on 16/08/19 and 17/08/19.
- A MOU was signed with Dream Tech, Nagercoil
- Mrs. M. Arice Mary served as a Resource person in Holy Cross Home Science, Tuticorin on 12/07/2019 and delivered a lecture on Opportunities and challenges in textile industries.
The department of Costume Design and Fashion conducts Alumnae Meet every year.