History of the Department
When the college was established in 1973, Chemistry was being taught to the Pre-University students.B.Sc. Chemistry major was offered to the students from the year 1979 onwards. Ever since the inception of B.Sc. Chemistry major, there has been heavy demand for the course as evidenced by the number of applications received every year. The Department of Chemistry has a well equipped laboratory to impart quality education to the students. The Department was upgraded as Research centre in the year 2012.Four of the faculty members are Ph.D. degree holders and among them two are recognized research guides of the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University. Three faculty members are pursuing research programmes.
To produce young chemists with upgraded skills and clarity of purpose.
To produce young chemists with theoretical and practical skills that underpins the various branches of Chemistry and to apply the skills and knowledge gained through the subject to real life situations and face competitive examinations with confidence.
1.To impart theoretical and practical skills that underpins the various branches of the science of Chemistry.
2.To enable the students to have a thorough understanding and knowledge of different branches of Chemistry.
3.To make the students develop the ability to think analytically and solve problems.
4.To facilitate the students of B. Sc. Chemistry to join PG courses which in turn help them to job opportunities and research pursuits.
5.To apply the skills and knowledge gained through the subject to real life situations and face competitive examinations with confidence.
1.To produce young chemists globally, the Department of Chemistry encourage the students to participate in various competitions conducted in the MS University level by providing the Registration fees and TA and to present research papers in seminars.
2.Once in a year, the Department arranges a State/ national level seminar and to bring out the leadership qualities of the students, the Department conducts association meetings exclusively with the student representatives on the dais.
3.The students visit regularly chemical industries and research laboratories to develop practical skills and follow activity-based learning for skill-based courses (Clinical Chemistry, Dairy Chemistry etc.) and certificate course (Rubber technology).
4.The Department Provides financial assistance to the needful students to minimize drop-outs from the Department Poor Fund.
5.The Department creates a participatory class room environment by presenting the students’ ideas on the subject using power-point.
PO1. Demonstrate, solve and an understand major concepts in all disciplines of chemistry.
PO2. Solve the problem and also think methodically, independently and draw a logical conclusion.
PO3. Employ critical thinking and the scientific knowledge to design, carry out, record and analyze the results of chemical reactions.
PO4. Create an awareness of the impact of chemistry on the environment, society and development outside the scientific community.
PO5. Find out the green route for chemical reaction for sustainable development.
PO6. To inculcate the scientific temperament in the students and outside the scientific community.
PO7. Use modern techniques, recent equipments and Chemistry Softwares.
Programme Specific Outcomes
PSO1. Gain the knowledge of Chemistry through theory and practicals.
PSO2. To explain nomenclature, stereochemistry, structures, reactivity, and mechanism of the chemical reactions.
PSO3. Identify chemical formulae and solve numerical problems.
PSO4. Use modern chemical tools, Models, Chem-draw, Charts and Equipments.
PSO5. Know structure-activity relationship.
PSO6. Understand good laboratory practices and safety.
PSO7. Develop research oriented skills.
PSO8. Make aware and handle the sophisticated instruments/equipments.
Screen Shots of Google Classroom
1. Vasantha Balan Scholarship is awarded to the Chemistry major student who secures the highest mark in part III subjects in the first five semesters.
2. Bernard Jacob Ross merit Prize is awarded to the best student in I year Chemistry.
3. Mary Daniel Memorial Prize is awarded to the best student in II year Chemistry.
4. Mrs. Kamala Bai Pauliah Memorial Scholarship is awarded to the Chemistry major student who gets the highest mark in the University examination in all the six semesters.
5. Dr. Lion Prof.S.A.P. Varghese Endowment Scholarship is awarded to the student who secures first mark in the V semester examination in B.Sc., Chemistry.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2020-2021
- An Orientation programme was conducted for I B.Sc., Chemistry students on 24.08.2020 to understand the complete realm of college life from academics to social activities.
- A National level online Quiz competition CHEMQUIZ - 2020 was conducted by our Department on 13.07.2020 and best participants were awarded.
- An essay writing competition was conducted by the Department on the Youth Awakening day 13.10.2020 in the topic Dr.Abdul Kalam and Youth.
- A state level webinar on Campaign against Nuclear Weapon in this Covid Era was organized by the Department on 06.11.2020. A renowned Scientific Officer Shri.A.V.Sathish of Nuclear Power Plant, Kudankulam served as the resource person and he delivered a motivational talk about Nuclear weapons.
- The Freshers day was celebrated in our Department on 15.02.2021.
- An association meeting was conducted on 23.02.2021 by the students. Miss W.Reena of III B.Sc., Chemistry delivered a talk on Boron Compounds in Cancer treatment and Miss Ashlin J.Sheeja of III B.Sc., Chemistry gave a talk on Cosmetic Chemistry
- Poster making competition was conducted on the topic Impacts of green house gases on Environment on 22.03.2021.Mana.S, of III.B.Sc., Chemistry got the I Prize, Archana.S of III.B.Sc., Chemistry got the II Prize and Reena.W and Eunice Blessy.W.B of III. B.Sc., Chemistry shared the III Prize.
- III B.Sc., Chemistry Students and Staff interacted on 30.03.2021 to know about the merits and demerits of the Department.
- The Alumnae Meeting was held on 31.03.2021 and had a good fellowship with the old students.
- The Valedictory meeting of our association was conducted on 21.04.2021 through online mode. Dr.Issac Sobana Raj, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Nesamony Memorial Christian College, Marthandam was the chief guest and delivered a thought provoking talk on Nature and Scope of Chemistry.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2016-2017
- On 26- 07- 2016, Fresher’s Day was organized by the seniors of our department to welcome wholeheartedly the juniors.
- S. Akisha (II B. Sc., Chemistry), N. U. Anjana Devi (II B. Sc., Chemistry), M. G. Afrin Jemeela (III B. Sc., Chemistry) and S. Prasheena Russell (III B. Sc., Chemistry) participated in the Chem-Quiz competition conducted by Annai Velankanni College of Arts and Science, Tholayavattom on 31-08-2016 and won the third prize.
- The Chemistry association for the academic year 2016-2017 was inaugurated by Dr. C. Justin Dhana Raj, Assistant Professor, University College of Engineering, Konam on 01-09-2016. He shared his experiences in Forensic Department and explained how chemistry could be a solution to crime.
- On 09-09-2016, 37 students of III B. Sc., Chemistry had an exciting trip to Ooty. At Doddabetta, they visited Tea Factory and Chocolate Factory.
- An association meeting was conducted on 30-09-2016 by the students. A. Sahaya Abisha and N. U. Anjana Devi of II B. Sc., Chemistry demonstrated some experiments for the detection of common adulterants in food. C. Arthi of III B. Sc., Chemistry and R.Akisha of II B. Sc., Chemistry delivered informative talk on Climate Change.
- On 11- 02- 2017, an alumnae meet was arranged and it was a joyful moment.
- A National Seminar on Advanced Frontiers in Chemistry was organized by the department on 27- 02 – 2017 to know the advanced trends in chemistry.
- An association meeting was conducted on 16-03-2017 by the students.Ms. Shilpi V. S. of III B. Sc., chemistry delivered a talk on “Chemistry in Everyday life” and Atchaya H. of I B. Sc., chemistry gave a talk on “Cosmetics”. Akshara H. and Atchaya H. of I B. Sc., Chemistry entertained the audience by singing melodious song with sweet voice.
- As a part of curriculum, 45 students of II B. Sc., Chemistry students visited Aavin Milk Plant, Palpannai, Nagercoil and 46 students of III B. Sc., Chemistry students visited Kanam Latex Industries, Peruvilai, Nagercoil on 22-3-2017.
- The Valedictory meeting of our association was conducted on 23- 3-2017 and Dr. Malar Retna, Assistant Professor, Scott Christian College was the guest of honour . She emphasized the importance of Natural Organic Products.
Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
- The Freshers of the Department were cordially welcomed by the seniors on 23.07.2019.
- The Inauguration of Chemistry Association for the academic year 2019-2020 was held on 05.08 2019. Dr. A.Amal Raj, Principal & Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry , St.Jerome’s College of Arts and Science, Ananthanadarkudy was the chief guest. He had delivered a talk on Origin of Green Chemistry.
- The final year students undergone a Certificate Course in Dairy Chemisrty.
- 41 students from III B.Sc Chemistry with three staff members attended health awareness programme at Satyam Hospital, Nagercoil on 04.09.2019.
- Four students from II & III B.Sc. Chemistry attended Chem Quiz - 2019 competition conducted by Department of Chemistry, Annai Velankanni College, Tholayavattam on 06 - 09 – 2019. N.Nametha & P.C.Jabasty Soundarya of III B.Sc Chemistry had won the third prize in the programme.
- 36 students and three staff members went on a Four days tour to Mysore, Coorg & Chik-Mangalore from 25.09.2019 to 29.09.2019. They also visited Soap manufacturing company which gave a great and memorable experience.
- The Department shared the Joy of Giving by distributing gift boxes to the parents of poor students and poor workers of our college.
- Modern Periodic Table Writing competition was conducted on 07.02.2020.
- An association meeting was conducted on 10.02.2020 by the students. Miss Nivedini and Miss Aseela Banu of III B.Sc., Chemistry delivered a talk.
- The ALUM MEET-2020 of the Alumnae Association of the Department of Chemistry was held on 14.03.2020 at 2.00 p.m.
- A national webinar on “ Novelties of Green Chemistry” was organized by the Department on 30.05.2020. A renowned Professor of Organic Chemistry Dr.Anil Kumar Gopinathan, School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala and Dr. Ani Deepthi, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Trivandrum served as resource persons.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2017-2018
The freshers of our department were welcomed wholeheartedly by the seniors on 24-07-2017. The inaugural function of our association for the academic year 2017-2018 was held on 28-07-2017. Dr. R. Ragel Mabel Saroja, Associate Professor, SCC, Nagercoil, delivered a talk on “ Wonders of Background Radiation”. Our III B. Sc., students Anjana Devi N. U., and Jasmine S. participated in the Quiz competition conducted by Scott Christian College(Autonomous), Nagercoil on 04-08-2017.
A workshop on Microscale Experiments was conducted on 08 - 08 - 2017 to save chemicals and to make pollution free environment in the lab. Poster making competition was conducted on 15 – 12 – 2017. On 25-01-2018 to 27 -02 - 2018, 24 students of III B. Sc., Chemistry with two staff members had an exciting trip to Mysore and Bangalore.
A National Seminar on ‘Environmental issues at the Global Level’ was organized by the department on 09- 02-2018. The meeting was presided over by the honorable Correspondent Prof. V. Sunder Raj. Shri. A. V. Sathish, Scientist, Nuclear Power Plant, Kudankulam and Dr. V. salom Gnana Thanga, Associate Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences were the eminent speakers of the day. As a part of curriculum, 40 students of III B. Sc., Chemistry students visited Kanam Latex Industries, Peruvilai, Nagercoil on 09-03-2018.
Alumnae meeting was on 24-04-2018. To encourage the students an associating meeting was conducted on 23-03-2018. H. Akshara of II B. Sc., Chemistry delivered a talk on “E-waste management” and Indu Rajendran of I B.Sc., Chemistry delivered a talk on”Chemistry in Cooking.
Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
Chemistry plays an important role as central science in connecting physical sciences with life sciences and applied sciences such as medicine and engineering. By recognizing the dynamic nature of science, the Chemistry Department aims to guide the students in research opportunities that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of chemistry. Our staff and students are committed in developing and using their creativity and critical thinking skills to achieve excellence in inquiry, discovery, application and service. The department strives hard to achieve the Holy Trinity of Science – Reason, Observation and Experience. To begin the activities of department, the freshers were cordially welcomed by the seniors on 10-07-2018. The inauguration of Chemistry Association for the academic year 2018-2019 was held on 25-07-2018. The importance of “Polymers” was pictured clearly by Dr. M. Chandran, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Vivekananda College of Arts and Science on that day.
To train up our students as professional careers in chemistry, as skilled entry level employees in industry and to promote the research activities of our students, a one-day workshop on “Entrepreneurship training on preparation of simple chemical products” was organized on 11-09-2018. The participants received the first hand information to prepare various chemical products such as tooth powder, tooth paste, wash liquid, cleaning powder, face powder etc.
R. Aseela Banu and Ayun R. Jini of II B.Sc. Chemistry participated the workshop on “Simple Chemical Products” at Scott Christian College on 10-08-2018. A faculty and 5 students attended the National seminar on “Recent Advances in Chemistry” at Holy Cross College, Nagercoil on 29 – 08 - 2018. Four students participated in the Cubane – St. Xavier’s Rolling Trophies, Science and Chemistry Quiz on 31-08-2018. Four of our students participated in Chem Quiz - 2018 competition conducted by the Department of Chemistry, Annai Velankanni College, Tholayavattam on 06 - 09 - 2018 and H. Atchaya and S. Barzi Jeba of III B.Sc. Chemistry won the second prize.
Three staff members and 42 students of III B. Sc. Chemistry visited the Indian Space Research Organisation, Mahendragiri on 03-10-2018. Students acquired knowledge about space reactions, liquid propulsion and rocket launching. Also they visited Vattakottai, a historical tourist place and Kanyakumari on the same day. To promote the leadership qualities and personality of the students, an association meeting was conducted on 17-12-2018 by the students. Indhu Rajendran of II B.Sc. Chemistry gave a talk on “Nano Technology”. Ayun R.Jini of II B.Sc. Chemistry and H. Akshara of III B.Sc. Chemistry delivered lectures on “Quarks” and “Chemistry Facts” respectively
The ALUM MEET – 2019 of the Alumnae Association of the Department of Chemistry was held on 29-01-2019 at 3 p.m. The Head of the Department, Dr. V. Gnana Glory Kanmoni addressed the gathering. Afreen Jameela, A. Jency Monicca, Jasmine and Jothi shared their joyful moments and recalled the reminiscence in this campus. The alumnae members had a memorable time on that day.
International Seminar on “Modern Trends in Material Science” was organized on 31-01- 2019. Dr. Jeya Ephraim, Director, Titanium River Pvt. Ltd., UK delivered lectures on “ Titanium Rich Materials from Illmenite ore – 4R concept and zero mitigation on waste utilization” and “Separation of ultra pure and fine Titanium metal powder from Titanium dioxide via powder metallurgy” . Dr. Gomathi, Associate Professor, IIST, Trivandrum gave a talk on “Surface Modification of Nano materials for Sensing applications”.
According to Francis Bacon, “Travelling is a part of Education”. To enhance the knowledge of the students beyond the four walls of the classroom, a one-day tour was organised for the III B.Sc. students. 39 students and three staff members participated in the tour. They went for boating in Poovar backwaters, visited Vizhinjam fish aquarium, Veli beach park and Kovalam beach. They also visited Kerala state Science and Technology Museum and Priyadharshini Planetarium which gave a great and memorable experience.
Dr.S.P.R.Kalai kathir attended a Refresher Course in Chemistry from 08- 06-2018 to
28-06-2018 and Refresher Course in Material Science from 30-10-2018 to 21-11-2018. Dr.S.Jasmin Sugantha Malar attended a Orientation Programme from 04-09-2018 to 01-10- 2018.
By the grace of Lord Almighty, the Valedictory Meeting of Chemistry Association was held on 22-04-2019 and H. Akshara of III B.Sc. Chemistry explained the need of the hour- “Green Chemistry”. Prizes were distributed to the students for their best performance.
The ALUM MEET is the annual meet of the Alumnae Association of the Department of Chemistry. The Head of the Department Dr. V. Gnana Glory Kanmoni addressed the gathering. She thanked the members for attending the meeting and asked them to have such meetings often in the Department. On 29-01-2019 Ms. Afreen Jameela, Ms.A.Jency Monicca, Ms jasmine and Ms. Jothi shared their joyful moments in this campus. Balloon bursting game was conducted to entertain the participants. The alumnae members had a memorable time on that day.
On 14.03.2020 at 2.00 p.m. The Head of the Department, Dr.V.Gnana Glory Kanmoni appreciated the participants and addressed the gathering. The alumnae had an enjoying and emotional sharing of the days in the college.