History of the Department
The department of Zoology had its origin in 1983.It serves as a template on which many young generations of students are being shaped. Mrs.Gracelet Thambidhas was the first Head of the Department ,who lead the department along with the active members Dr.Lily Premila ,Dr.R.Vasantha, Dr.S.Chandral, Dr.Retna Latha Sinazer, Dr.R.Jeyanthi Jeeva Latha and Dr.Padmaja. Dr.C.Nija is the present Head of the Department.The infrastructure and the equipments in the laboratory are conducive to deepen the depth of knowledge and widen the breadth of understanding of the students.
The strength of our department is the highly qualified teaching faculty, who render their sincere service with the real spirit of dedication.
To deepen the depth of knowledge, To widen the breadth of understanding To uplift the soul to the height of heaven.
To impart the advancements and emerging opportunities in life science.
- To prepare students to have a sound foundation in Zoology.
- To develop students' personality, skills and values by promoting research in Zoology.
- To cultivate knowledge which will enable the students to continue higher education.
- Our students are fortunate enough to study certificate course in “Bee Keeping” and a UGC sponsored Add on course on “Sericulture” along with the regular degree course.
- Every year, our students undergo a training entitled “Value added fish products” and hand on training on “Techniques in Biotechnology”.
- In order to enrich the students with technical skills, an apiary and vermicomposting unit were established in the department as the extension activity.
- An MOU with Kerala State Science and Technology Museum, Trivandrum enable the students to share their knowledge on Tissue Culture and Mushroom Culture Technologies.
- Field trips and regular visits were arranged to ecological important places, Zoological parks, Museum and Sericulture centres.
- Students were given oppurtunities to take the seminar from time to time and also to attend workshops, symposia etc. in related subjects organized in the department and elsewhere.
- Dr.C.Nija, Dr.K.Reeba Jasmine, Dr.G.Jenila and Dr.C.Sreekumari are the recognized research guides to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University.
PO1. To introduce the students of Zoology to current trends and practices in Biology and status of animals.
PO2. To prepare the students well equipped to meet the demands of various competitive examinations.
PO3. To inculcate the temperament of research on recent developments in the students.
Programme Specific Outcomes
PSO1. To elucidate the importance of taxonomy and to know the methods of nomenclature.
PSO2. To understand the sequential changes from cellular grade of organization to organ grade of organization in the development of multicellular organisms and to study the interaction and interdependence among environmental factors and living organisms.
PSO3. To elucidate the structure and functions of the cell organelles, to exemplify the concept of genetics, the principles of inheritance and the role of genes in determining characters.
PSO4. To know the knowledge of rearing of honey bees and extraction of honey.
PSO5. To get the thorough knowledge of making vermicompost and vermiculture.
PSO6. To introduce various concepts, principles of biotechnology.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2020-2021
- On 8th February 2021, Fresher’s day celebration was organized for the newly admitted first year students.
- The inauguration of the Zoology Association was held on 18-2-2021.at 2PM in the Seminar Hall II. Our III B.Sc Zoology students Miss.Jemsitha, Miss.Joelin Mercy and Miss.Nazreen were selected as Secretary, Joint Secretary and Treasurer respectively for the academic year 2020-21.
- The Zoology Association of our Department conducted a career guidance programme (19-03-2021) on the theme “ The next big thing ”.
- The Department of Zoology had organized “Alumnae Meet 2021” on 12-3-2021. Around 25 alumni attended the meet and gave their valuable feedback and suggestions for the betterment of the department.
- National Science day was celebrated in our department on 23/02/2021. The theme for National Science Day was Future of STI: Impacts on Education, Skills and Works.
- The Department of Zoology organized a “Photography Competition” in commemoration with the ”World Sparrow Day”. It was celebrated on 20/03/2021.
- The Department of Zoology organized a “Documentary on Polar Bears” in commemoration with the “International Polar Bear Day”. It was celebrated on 25/02/2021.The day was celebrated to raise awareness of the polar bears and to reduce threats to their populations as well as the environment. The documentaries on polar bears prepared by the students make awareness about global warming.
- The valedictory meeting of Zoology Association was held on 31/3/2021. Dr.C.Nija thanked the Principal and Correspondent for providing a computer, an audio system and a podium to our Department.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2016-2017
To acquire knowledge from eminent personalities a one day National Seminar on the current theme “Bioscience in Human Welfare” was conducted on 10th February 2017. 17 staff members and 142 students from 9 colleges attended the seminar. Dr.A.J.A.Ranjit Singh Principal, J.P. College of Arts and Science, Ayikudy,Tenkasi; Dr.K.Immanual Rajan, Professor, Department of Life Science ,Bharathidasen University,Tiruchirapalli and Dr.N.Rajendran,,Adjuent Professor and Academic coordinator, School of Ocean Sciences and Technology ,Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean studies were the guest of honour .They gave informative talk on Neurotransmitters of sensory cells and their action potential – memory levels of brain and loss of memory ;Monitoring of the frontiers of Bioscience Research for Human Welfare and Significance of Bioscience in Human Welfare.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2017-2018
- The valuable features, rules and regulations of the Department and the performance and the progress of the students were informed to the parents through two PTA meetings.
- A counselling programme was conducted to the students in order to train the students to face the problems.
- To practice the “Earn while you learn policy” a two days training programme on “Preparation of value added fish products” like fish baji, fish cutlet, fish soup and fish pickle and a one day programme on “ornamental fish culture” was organized for the III B.Sc and the II B.Sc Zoology students 07th to 08th August and 27 September respectively at Tamil Nadu Fisheries Training and Research Centre, Parakkai, Kanyakumari District.
- The inaugural meeting of the Zoology Association was held on 10-8-2017. The chief guest of the day Dr, Ravi, Assistant Professor of Zoology, Thiagarajar College, Madurai gave the inaugural address on “Integrated Pest Management”.
- To motivate young minds towards Zoological knowledge, an exhibition on ‘’Animal World’’ was conducted by the Department of Zoology on 7/9/2017, 8/9/2017 and 16/10/2017 in the Zoology lab. The exhibition was on more than two hundred preserved animals and stuffed creatures of Zoological World representing all the taxonomical classifications including flying fish, flying frog, flying lizard, double headed snake, double tailed house lizard etc. About 2130 students from different schools and1045 students from our college enjoyed the exhibition.
- A consultancy programme on “practical skills in cellular events” was conducted from 21-11-2017 to 23-11-2017 in the Department lab. 284 students from four schools such as CS.I Matriculation School,Nagercoil, Bell Field Matriculation School,Nagercoil, and St.JohnVianneys Girls Higher Secondary School, Palliyady participated. Learning by doing was emphasized on the cellular events like Mitosis and Human blood smear. They also observed microorganisms Lactobacillus from the milk products.
- 6-10-2017 was marked as the Joy of giving day by the staff and students of Department of Zoology, Women’s Christian College. Department staff and students visited the Home Church Primary School, Nagercoil and shared our joy with about twenty five economically weak students of the school by providing study kits like geometry box, pouch, sketch pen etc.
- With the concern on the mentally oppressed people of the society II year students along with the staff members visited Shanthi Nilayam (mentally retarded home) at Kanyakumari, on 29 -1-2018 and provided lunch, sweets and few more stationary items for their use.
- To have an exposure about various fields the students were taken to Biotechnology Laboratory N I College, Kumaracoil; Vermitechnology unit Vivekanantha Kendra, Kanyakumari; Apiary Unit in YMCA Marthandam and Sericulture Unit Konam.
- To emphasize experiential learning and to explore new territories and the behavior of the animals, a travel experience with specific learning goal was conducted to the I B.Sc Zoology students on 19/02/2018. Students visited various places in and around Thiruvananthapuram such as Napier Zoological Park Napier Museum, Sri Chitra Art Gallery, Butterfly garden, Priyadharshini Planetarium, Vezhi estuary, Vizhingam aquarium and Kovalam beach.
- As recreation is part of the curriculum, the final year students were taken to a four days trip to Mysore and Bangalore from 24.01.2018to 27.01.2018 to refresh their mind and soul.
- Dr. S.Chandral – HOD acted as Subject expert in the selection committee of the Zoology Department.
- Dr. R.Jeyanthi Jeeva Latha was a member of the Board of Studies of UG, Zoology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
- Dr.Nija has attended a refresher course in “Life Science” from 08-11-2017 to 28-11-2017. She has authored a chapter on “Basic concepts of peace” in a book “A curriculum for peace studies” and also acted as resource person in Zoology Association of Nesamony Memorial Christian College.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2018-2019
- The fresher’s day was held in our department on 11-7-2018.The senior students welcomed the new comers with entertainment programs and gifts. Our Head of the Department gave advices and explained the regulation and rules of the Department.
- On 30-07-2018 III BSc Zoology students were taken to the areas of Padmanabhapuram, Villukuri and rocky areas of Chugankadai to collect different types of insects.
- The inaugural meeting of the Zoology Association was held on 2.8.2018 at 2 pm in the assembly hall. Our 3rd BSc Zoology students Miss Benika Prakash, Miss Fathima Humtha and Miss Aiswarya were selected as Secretary, Joint secretary and Treasurer respectively for the academic year 2018-2019.
- To deepen the knowledge on Nutrition and Dietetics II Zoology students visited the milk factory on 9.8.2018. They educated the students on the production, pasteurization, sterilization of milk and the preparation of valuable milk products such as ice cream, milk powder, butter milk etc.
- Drawing Competition entitled Nature was conducted by the Department of Zoology on 3.9.2018. Around 20 students of our department participated.
- To practice Earn while you learn policy II BSc students underwent a training program in Parakkai fisheries department on18.9.2018. They got valuable information about ornamental fish culture and learned about setting up a tank, live bearers in ornamental fishes, egg layers in ornamental fishes etc.
- The department of Zoology conducted a one day program on beekeeping by Khadi and Village Industries Commison (KVIC) on 19.9.2018 in our college. Students from various departments participated in the program. Mr Linga Durai Assistant Director of Honey Mission and Mr. Raja Kumaran supervisor of Honey Mission were the chief guests. They explained the importance of honey, maintaince of an apiary and about the various job opportunities available in the field of Apiculture.
- A memorandum of understanding was signed between our department and Kerala State and Technology Museum (KSSTM) on 28.9.2018 to share Biotechnological Informations.
- A training programme on biotechnology was arranged for III B.Sc Zoology students on 4-10-2018 to learn the techniques on biotechnology.
- An Intercollegiate competition in relation to Wild Week Celebration was conducted on 12-10-2018 at Holy Cross College, Nagercoil. Our Students Benikca Prakash, Aiswariya, Sangeetha, Kumuthini, Tahani Fathimath, Rassmika won prizes in the competitions.
- 20-12-2018 was marked as the Joy of Giving day by the staff and students of department of Zoology, Women’s Christian College. We visited the workers of our college hostel and shared our joy with them by providing bed sheets and cakes.
- Ist year Zoology students (31) and two staff members went to one day trip to Kanya Kumari on 29-01-2019 for the purpose of collection of different Zoological specimens. Our students collected many algae and fishes in the sea shore of Kanya Kumari. Most of the sponges such as Leucosolenia, Scypha etc were collected and observed. Some of the poisonous fishes (Diodon, Tetrodon) were also identified. Various types of Mollusca shells were collected, identified and separated based on the systemic position of the animals.
- The Hands on Training on Animal Preservation Techniques in association with Government museum, Tirunelveli held in our department on 22-2-2019. The Chief guest Mrs. S. Sathya Valli (District Curator, Government museum, Tirunelveli) explained the different methods of preservation techniques and also demonstrate the preservation of various animals like crab, fishes and egg of birds.
- To develop knowledge on aquaculture practices, students were taken to CMFRI Tuticorin on 4-4-19.The students could understand the culture practices of fishes and other techniques in fishery technology.
- The valedictory meeting of Zoology Association was held on 23-04-2019. Dr. Usha Raja Nandhini,H.O.D of Biotechnology, Mother Teresa Women’s University, Kodaikanal was called as the resource person. She gave a talk on “Mushroom Culture”.
Departmental Activities of the academic year 2019-2020
- The Zoology Association was inaugurated by Dr.Padma Latha, Former Joint Director of Collegiate Education, Tirunelveli region with her inspirational talk on the“Wonders of Zoological World”. She also encouraged our students by listing out the career opportunities after their graduation in Zoology.
- The rules and regulations of the Department and the performance and progress of the students were informed to the parents through PTA meetings.
- The Department also facilitates a basic and comprehensive approach towards developing skills among students in disciplines such as apiculture, aquaculture and vermicomposting.
- Insects are fascinating creatures and an insect collection trip was arranged by the Department of Zoology at The Udhayagiri fort of Thuckalay inorder to educate the students about biodiversity and the ecological importance of arthropods.
- A collection trip was arranged for the first year students and the Kovalam region of Kanyakumari was selected as the spot to collect the marine specimens.
- To acquire knowledge in various fields, the final year students had undergone a one day training programme on "Biotechnological Techniques" at Noorul Islam Arts and Science College, Kumaracoil on 24-09-2019. The students were well trained with various biotechnological techniques such as SDS PAGE Electrophoresis, DNA separation and so on.
- To mend the students with good values a counselling programme was arranged on 24-10-2019. Dr. Mary Christy, Former Associate Professor of the Department of Botany, counsel the students with a message “You Are Precious”.
- Christmas brings cheer and love and we celebrated it with the same fervour along with the retired staff members of the Department.
- As part of the curriculum, the final year students were taken to a tour of three days to Munnar , and Cochin to refresh their mind and soul.
- To take a walk down the corridors of nostalgia, alumnae meet was conducted to share the values they acquired during their active life in the campus.
- Happiness begins from doing something for others and not for ourselves.The students and staff visited the old age home ‘Rojavanam’ as part of celebration of ‘Joy of Giving’.
- The online quiz on ‘An Outlook on Epidemics, Pandemics and Endemics’ was conducted from 26-05-2020 to 31-05-2020.
The Zoology Department Alumnae Meet is being conducted every year. The alumnae share the values they acquired during their active life in the campus. They give their valuable feedback and suggestions for the betterment of the department. It is an incredible reunion of the alumni and staff members at WCC campus on that day.